The Probate Court of Rabun County issues marriage licenses and maintains those records. We also issue certified and plain copies of marriage licenses and applications for all marriage licenses that were issued in Rabun County. For more information please call 706-782-3614. To apply for and pay online for certified copies of marriage licenses click this link https://www.feepayonline.com/certificates/default.aspx?CourtID=NjA=
Obtaining a marriage license:
- Both applicants must appear in person no later than 4:00 p.m. to complete the application for a marriage license.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older. (Certain circumstances permit 17 year old applicants to obtain a marriage license. Call Rabun County Probate Court for all required information.)
- A valid government-issued photo ID card is required for both applicants. If no valid government-issued photo ID is available, applicant must present a CERTIFIED copy of applicant's birth certificate.
- A certified copy of divorce decree or death certificate from the former spouse is required from any applicant that has had a prior marriage.
- At least one applicant has to be a resident of Georgia in order to apply for a marriage license in a county other than the county where the ceremony is to take place. If both applicants are nonresidents of Georgia, then the application must be made in the county where the marriage ceremony will take place.
The fee for a marriage license is:
- $16.00 for couples with a completed and notarized certificate of pre-marital counseling. You may follow this link for the pre-marital counseling form which must be completed and notarized prior to the issuance of the marriage license. Premarital Education Form
- $56.00 for couples without a certificate of pre-marital counseling.
- Fees are payable by cashier's check, money order or Visa/Mastercard.
- Certified copies are an additional $10.00 per copy.
After the ceremony, the license is to be returned to the issuing probate court within 10 days after date of marriage. The clerk will then record the license in the marriage docket. Certified copies of the license may then be issued by the court.
An online marriage application is available here if you wish to begin your application now. ONCE YOU HAVE SUBMITTED YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION, CALL THE COURT FOR YOUR APPOINTMENT AND INSTRUCTIONS. ONLINE APPLICATION WILL DROP OFF AFTER 14 DAYS. Both applicants will still need to appear before the Court to finish the process but this online form can make the process faster. Please call the Court at (706) 782-3614 for further information or if you have questions.
Back to Probate Court