Marriage Licenses 

The Probate Court of Rabun County issues marriage licenses and maintains those records. We also issue certified and plain copies of marriage licenses and applications for all marriage licenses that were issued in Rabun County.  For more information please call 706-782-3614. To apply for and pay online for certified copies of marriage licenses click this link https://www.feepayonline.com/certificates/default.aspx?CourtID=NjA=

Obtaining a marriage license:

  • Both applicants must appear in person no later than 4:00 p.m. to complete the application for a marriage license.
  • Applicants must be 18 years of age or older. (Certain circumstances permit underage applicants to obtain a marriage license. Call Rabun County Probate Court for additional information.)
  • A valid official photo ID card is required for both applicants. If no valid official Photo ID card is available, applicant must present a CERTIFIED copy of applicant's birth certificate.
  • A certified copy of divorce decree or death certificate from the former spouse is required from any applicant that has had a prior marriage.
  • At least one applicant has to be a resident of Georgia in order to apply for a marriage license in a county other than the county where the ceremony is to take place. If both applicants are nonresidents of Georgia, then the application must be made in the county where the marriage ceremony will take place.
  • Applicants will need to provide the officiant's full name, title, mailing address and phone number.


The fee for a marriage license is:

  • $16.00 for couples with a completed and notarized certificate of pre-marital counseling. (See note & link below)
  • $56.00 for couples without a certificate of pre-marital counseling.
  • Fees are payable by cash, money order or Visa/Mastercard.
  • Certified copies are an additional $10.00 per copy.
    After the ceremony, the license is to be returned to the issuing probate court, which will then record the license in the marriage docket. Certified copies of the license may then be issued by the court.

(Note: Pre-marital counseling must include at least six hours of instruction involving marital issues, which may include but not be limited to: (a) conflict management, (b) communication skills, (c) financial responsibilities, (d) child and parenting responsibilities; and (e) extended family roles. The program must have been completed within twelve months prior to the application and the couple must have undergone the premarital education together. To qualify, the premarital education must have been performed by: (a) a professional counselor, social worker, or marriage and family therapist; (b) a psychiatrist; (c) a psychologist; or (d) an active member of the clergy when in the course of his or her service as clergy, or the designee of such active member of the clergy, provided the designee is skilled and trained in premarital education.)

You may follow this link for the pre-marital counseling form which must be completed and notarized prior to the issuance of the marriage license. Premarital Education Form

Back to Probate Court